Tuesday, October 11, 2005

After finally finishing Les hirondelles du Kaboul, I found myself missing those old french lit courses at university. At the time, it was so annoying to have to force myself through multiple chapters each night, followed by that feeling of inadequacy the next morning in class discussion. But having Diane or even Jan there to explain the story, the text, the words and sentence structure, and the history behind the story, and the cultural influences that I couldn't begin to know, was just an amazing opportunity, that like most of university I didn't truly appreciate until it was almost gone. (I was the fool who procrastinated on organizing my study abroad till my senior year, so I have only myself to blame in this!)

However, I did some thinking- miraculously - while reading Les hirondelles and it seems to me that since Khadra grew up during the revolution in Algeria, he might not naturally write in French. Thus I should feel as comfortable reading a translation into English as reading one into French. (After all I am the one who broke down and bought the book I wanted in an English translation.) So I've decided that I'll look for a copy of Khadra's work in English. Though I should probably research what language he did actually write in.

4 comments:

Katherine. said...

Turns out Khadra, or Mohamed Moulessehoul, did write in French.

But a synposis in English did confirm that I did correctly understand the plot of the book.

pheebee said...

For the record, listening to Diane, or especially Jan, explain ANYTHING was categorically NOT an amazing experience. It was, in fact, annoying. Please refrain from misleading your blog readers.

Sincerely,
The Public at Large.

Katherine. said...

Dear Public at Large,

While they might not have been the best, I did enjoy the insights Diane had into the materials we covered. But most of my comment was meant to point out the opportunity it is to have someone keeping you informed about the texts you are reading. Pointing out often missed ideas and researching the text to enrich your reading experience. For all it matters, I also miss the insights during classes with Dominque in Toulouse. While you never met him, you'd have enjoyed his classes- he's a retired lawyer who teaches law and philosophy at the uni there.
But thanks as always for the proof that at least one person reads my blogs! I no longer feel lost amidst the masses of blog-land.
Gratefully,
kd.

pheebee said...

Dear kd.

With the advent of Cliffnotes, Sparknotes, and the internet, I am once agin forced to remind you that going to class is completely pointless and/or overrated. Furthermore, lawyers are not very interesting people while teaching -- but are infinitesimally exciting while drinking. :)

Sincerely,
The Public at Large :}