Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Appreciation and depreciation.

I've just stumbled onto Amelia's fabulous little french blog. Last night, as the usual horde of us assistants took over the open time in the computer lab at the foyer, it tumbled into my lap. Well, not literally. As I read the entry pertaining to me and my fellows in Metz, I could not keep the laughter in! Her wonderfully accurate description of Bobby and his classroom antics had me causing a scene in the lab. True to form, the rest of the assistants couldn't help but wonder what had me in hysterics, and all had to see her blog; in turn they were all rolling on the floor with me! The other thought provoking situation from her blog included the reference to the size of Victoria's apartment... if only she'd gotten the chance to see Dyna and Mina's apartment. All of our little group have made the comments at one moment or another about how we have come to appreciate space and rather the unnecessity of space. Victoria's apartment is tiny, yet we would all totally love to have it and find that it's really a perfect size- even when there are about eleven of us cramped in her bedroom/living room/dining room/study eating fondue or quesadillas or whatever crazy thing we've decided to cook for the entirety of the group. In addition, I've been reading a bit of Ryan's journal and his experience after being with a Bedouin family in the southern desert of Jordan (can I interrupt with how completely jealous I am of his time with SIT at the moment!) and how he too is coming to many of the same, in not more dramatic, conclusions we are all reaching. It lets me recapture so many of the moments of last year, as truly the first experience abroad is the most drastic; all the things I felt last year so fully, the things Ryan, Amelia, and Liz are all feeling this year, make me remember and appreciate again. Even if I'm just appreciating a depreciation of space.

Accomplishments of the day: several photocopies made of important and necessary documents for social security and loan documents without paying for them; didn't wash my hair this morning -(on my way to glory!); am getting over amazement at early displays of Christmas decorations (they started going up about mid-october, will have to discuss later).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kate! I'm glad you guys liked it. Big kiss