Saturday, November 13, 2004

Scrambled Egg Baguettes.

Le 7 novembre 2004.

This weekend was quite the experience. Minus the numerous small details, it really started with the marvelous scrambled egg baguettes we made in my room on Friday evening. These particular variety of baguettes might be better left to a more equipped kitchen (read: a true kitchen, not my dorm room replica). The sandwichs were quite tasty and extremely filling, especially my calcium booster that came in the form of a bit of smashed shell! Crunchy! It was in the course of the clean-up that we realized my drain was unfortunately clogged. As it was Friday night, I am speculating that it will be Tuesday before it’s fixed; chiefly, as even if someone looks at it Monday, it will be Tuesday before they do any work on it. Especially as it now seems to leaking. C’est la vie en la France! (I actually have French people giving me that as an explanation to situation over which no one appears to have any control.) But otherwise life is wonderful!

Amelia and Liz came in on Friday night after the sink debacle. It was splendid to see them! We just hung out with everyone at the Jehanne d’Arc, learned how to make some type of special drink using mainly beer, and watching our patron dancing with Dyna. Saturday was quite the full day. The girls and I spent the day in Luxembourg, and I actually remembered my camera! It wasn’t as brilliantly autumn as the day Kristen and I visited, but it had its misty charm, and was still delightful! It was just glorious to get out and spend the day walking. In the evening on our return to Metz, we met everyone at Victoria’s for a dinner party that was overall quite delightful and entertaining. It included plenty of opportunity for me to play with my new camera. The quesadillas made by Jen, Melissa, and Victoria were absolutely delicious; as was the glaze for the dessert cake, just an amazing meal! It’s totally fabou to have a kitchen!

Sunday was just as great in a quiet way. Amelia, Liz, and I hung out for a bit more, walked around seeing the sights of Metz and eating lunch before they caught their train back to Paris. It was only too bad that the covered market was closed and that we couldn’t have had lunch at Pat’s soup bar. After their train left, I met up with Melissa and Victoria to drive to Gorze for a short hike to see the Chapelle St. Clement, that manly knight who ran off the Graouilly of Metz and thereby converting Metz to a Christian city. What a saint! We didn’t get to see the church or the monastery that’s suppose to be in the area, but we sure did drive through the Forest of the Graouilly. At least we didn’t hit him!

All together it’s been a delightful weekend, with knowing that everyone is moving up to Trinitaire, my friends visiting, and good hiking. If only I had remembered to phone my brother on his birthday, but at least I remembered to mail his card… though that will be late too. So Happy Birthday big brother! I’ll call soon, or in a week. Even if our trip to Copenhagen hasn’t worked out for various reasons, it seems as if our traveling this week should still be great! I’ll have to remember my camera.

So, good night!

No comments: