Thursday, January 12, 2006

So after inquire within's comments on the cost of public transportation in London, I was curious to compare it to what I'd known in France.

It ends up he's paying quite a bit more than it would have cost for a month in Paris, unless you get the student discount, which is considerably helpful. The current rate in Paris is about $62 USD a month without the student discount, with it's : $36 USD. The weekly pass I purchased in April cost me about $18 USD.
In Metz, the monthly bus pass cost about $40 USD, I think; though with the student discout it was $30 USD. I never had to buy the monthly pass as I didn't bus around Metz all that much.
The best I've ever seen was Toulouse, where the montly pass for the student was $25. Though Toulouse (600,000) is rather isolated, and you tend to go there only to study, live, or work, and it's really just a massive uni town. But still, a simply great city to live in!

That's it- I was really just advertising the greatness of Toulouse.

2 comments:

Katherine. said...

Awesome. I figured there must be a discount available somewhere for you.

I didn't need a city bus pass last year in Metz, but I did end up fibbing about being a student at the University (using my Cornell ID and my IYTC card) to get a regional bus id that gave me a 50% discount on my one-way tickets! The 10 euro card paid for itself in the first five trips.

Europe is great when you're 18-26! They really love their traveling students!

pheebee said...

Man, my life in law school definitely sucks by comparison.

On the up side, we get to ride the bus for free. :)