Wednesday, April 06, 2005

How the Hundred-Acre Woods became the Forest of Blue Dreams…

Le 6 avril 2005.

Sometimes I wish I could just have a little audiovisual recorder of all I see and hear and think during the day. But as that is also extremely creepy big-brother and would probably be truly annoying, I’m not to upset that I don’t… it just means that I usually end up forgetting some of the crazy things that happen on a daily basis and you don’t get to hear about them.

My recent extracurricular activities have been mostly researching and organizing the family trip in May through France. And it’s been fun in a bit of a weird way watching all the pieces come together- the train tickets arrived the other day, the parents got the hotel reservations for Paris (based on my recommendations so let’s help they were good recommendations!), and I just spent the day getting blisters from the new shoes while walking around Metz to check on car rental prices and check out some of the hotels. And in true typically French style, one of the new hotels that was to have opened in March doesn’t even have the entrance finished yet! I honestly couldn’t find the street number nor the door! Oh well, the one down the street was really nice, so we’ll probably stay there. Now I just have to find a couple of restaurants that are suppose to be nice here in town. Also need above-mentioned car rental and hotels in Toulouse.

Also on the trip-planning front, I have made all my arrangements for the trip to Prague! I have the flights reserved and a hostel in Prague all set, and one in Dortmund as my return trip includes a 24-hour layover in Germany. I’m pretty excited to be going even if I’m going alone. Also the hostel in Prague is a new one so there weren’t many comments on it so we’ll see what happens. I’ll try to keep you posted.

It’s been insane realizing that I have only about 12 days left in Metz as a resident… all the things I need to get taken care of before I go… the packing I really should start soon so I’m not up all night before I leave… But at this point I have to totally give the French health care system snaps (even if it’s probably going to crash sometime in the not too distant future) for at the moment I get some of these services paid for and for some reason I don’t have to make these appointments months in advance. In all reality, it appears that a week is sufficient. Love it!

My French mom wrote the other day in response to a letter I finally sent them! I mean, it’s totally my fault as they couldn’t have known where to contact me as I hadn’t given them any address or phone number. I was completely exciting to hear from her and how the family is doing. And here’s the bit that totally touched my heart, I had mentioned in a phone call over the summer that I might be coming to visit Toulouse with my family if and when they came to visit in probably May, and Nelly totally invited us all to visit them if and when we came- she had no idea if we were even coming or not but she made sure to invite us! I always knew I had lucked out with my host family last year, but this totally reinforces it. And she just wrote one of those sheet and fabulous letters that makes you feel so happy and special. It totally made my day.

Well, as I haven’t got much interesting to talk about today I’m just going to sign off and leave all be. Hopefully I haven’t bored anyone too much!

No comments: