Thursday, April 28, 2005

Let's Discuss Globalization, Americanization... or The first night in Prague...

le 20 avril 2005, mercredi: 21:15, Miss Sophie's Hostel, Prague

These last few days have been so intense. I moved out of my studio in Metz on Monday afternoon, took the train to Paris and lugged my five bags with Thanh Ly to Kim's place down in the fifteenth. Worked up enough sweat to justify washing my hair on Tuesday morning so I could justify foregoing the shower on Wednesday (this am), as I had to leave Kim's apartment at 6am to catch my flight to Dortmund, to wait there for about five hours so I could catch my flight to Prague and so arrive here.

On moving: I can't believe I'm technically homeless in France again, as I haven't got a proper address. But I'm using Kim's address as necessary- though hopefully not more than for my luggage tags. I'm totally going to miss my baby studio in Metz. I'm already missing Metz, and Dyna, Bobby, and Louse. They're all in Spain for the week- where it's warm and sunny! But it's lovely to be with Kim and Thanh Ly as it's forcing me to actually use French even when I'm disinclined to do so, as in I don't know the words. And they're just great people to be with! Also it's hard to realise that I've moved out from Metz because I'm still in France and well, Europe. And I don't go home for another three and a half weeks. Realisation hasn't sunk in yet truly that this year is over- also I guess that I'm so excited to go home this time means that I'm not dreading or anxious in any form about leaving. But it's just that it hasn't all sunk in. Though I miss the kids (aka the monsters) in Metz and Ste. Marie already.

On the hostel: It's apparently a sister hostel to Sir Toby's in Prague, but that's a bit further out. It's mainly an anglophone place, but it's new and really nice. Not too expensive and really super clean. It's also not in the old town/centre of Prague, but rather an easy walk and in a quiet neighborhood. There is unfortunately no kitchen though.

On first impressions of Prague: Wow! Can we discuss globalization and americanization! I would have to say that over 50% of the posters and signs here are in English. Karin, the french woman in my dorm, said that "Prague is a good place for non-English speakers to improve their English."
Random other impressions: no dog crap on the sidewalks- small bricks and squares for sidewalks like in Paris- a pleathora of gorgeous buildings- KFC on every corner!- Macdo on every corner (typical now)- even saw a TGI Fridays! (we don't even have those in Iowa anymore- what gives!)- the Astronomical Clock (quaint, but shorter than I thought) and crowds of people- more English (american and british) on streets than maybe even Paris- American college students playing frisbee in Old Town Square- music everywhere!

But can we discuss Americanization! The best way I can explain it is to say that after seven months in France, a country so determined to resist a lot of these influences (have since found a KFC is Paris, near Les Halles), it's almost overwhelming to my senses to see all of this-- insanity. And as I'm coming from France, where I can speak the native language, it's hard to be here and know I can only really rely on my native language- that even attempting a non-native language won't work here- one as I know no others, two except for Czech. Everyone, even the street snack stand people (maybe especially them), knows English. I feel so horrible not even knowing some basic words yet either. I'll have to see what the next few days bring.

No comments: